Diese Seite in Deutsch anzeigen. Show this page in english. Questa pagina non e' disponile in lingua italiana.

St. Alban church

Built in 1776 - 1783

The present church of St. Alban is the third church on the same spot. From the first church we do not know many.

The Gothic tower, divided into seven floors, is 68 meters high and stems from the previous buildings. Around 1780, the church was rebuilt and the old tower was incorporated into the structure. The Matrei Church is one of the largest churches (if not the biggest) in the Tyrol. The interior of the church is evidence of baroque - classicist style. The clear structure of the nave, the discreet and stylish stucco and generous frescoes give the church a particularly elegant character.


The frescoes of the famous Tyrolean painter
Franz Anton Zeiller show the multiplication of bread, in the dome the inclusion of the church's patron St. Alban in the circle of all the saints and in the chorus half-dome images for adoration of the Name of Jesus. The station pictures are from F. A. Zeiller .


The church is very richly decorated with sculptures of high artistic quality. Especially valuable are the sculptures from the baroque sculptor Johann Paterer (eg: Saint Sebastian). The statues on the main altar are from the factory of Peter Schmid from Mittersill. He should have built the high altar, but he is frozen at a crossing of the Felber Tauern.

The latest news

Tolles Fest zum Erlebnis Bauernhof
06.10.2019

Einsteigen und losfahren - Gäste nützen alle Busse in Osttirol kostenl...